Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Show Me Your Assonance


I’ve mentioned before that I’m a huge English nerd, right?  Yeah, I think it’s pretty obvious.  I noticed this again recently while listening to the Mumford and Sons song “The Cave” and noting the wonderful examples of assonance present, especially in the second stanza.  I swear, when they say, "The harvest left no food for you to eat/ You cannibal, you meat-eater, you see,” I can practically hear the gnawing sound of someone chewing or grinding on food…which I suppose is exactly the kind of imagery that belongs in those lines. 

It’s like they’re eating their words, so to speak.  Ba da bum. (I’m sorry.  I couldn’t help it.)

I like assonance, though.  Assonance and alliteration, really, but even more, I love the way some writers manipulate words, creating music in the mere sounds that coalesce when certain words are placed next to one another.  That’s one of the main reasons I like Mumford and Sons, apart from the fact that they use many Shakespeare references in their songs.  They just know how to make words sound beautiful and lyrical.

I know I have more to say on this subject, but for now I just wanted to get this thought on the page.  It was just something I was thinking about yesterday, and maybe later on I’ll compile a list of songs whose lyrics I find especially compelling.  However, for now I will just say that for all those who haven’t heard them yet, you should check out Mumford and Sons.   I particularly dig the banjo action they have going.

Happy listening,

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment