Monday, January 7, 2013

Spaceships versus Pirate Ships: The Eternal Question


This is a really random post, and I’m not exactly sure where it originated.  I guess the post on eye patches got me thinking about pirates, and I tend to think about pirates frequently anyway for one reason or another, but I’m not quite sure why I’m even bringing this up.

Well, what I want to know is this: what’s better, a spaceship, or a pirate ship?

I know, I know.  Spaceships go into outer space!  You can explore distant galaxies and have space adventures and whatnot.  You can meet aliens!  If you find a ship like the one in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, you can enable the Infinite Improbability Drive!

Of course, there are many downsides to spaceships.  For one, as of right now, the technology does not seem entirely foolproof.  If this were science fiction, I’d say right on, but real spaceships?  Don’t get me wrong; I’d still go into space, but I’d be much more leery.

Then there’s the whole “no air in outer space” dilemma.  I think I’d feel awfully claustrophobic in that cramped space, not to mention the bulkiness of the spacesuits and the whole bathroom situation.

Then again, I’d imagine pirate ships have that problem, as well.  The bathroom situation, that is.  The thing about pirate ships, however, is that while you may be stuck on the ship for an indefinite period of time, you still experience open air and some sense of freedom of movement.  It’s not such a great options for those who get seasick easily, but I’ve never had that problem myself.

Another positive aspect of pirate ships is the customary attire one gets to wear on the ship.  It’s pretty hard to top those big, floppy hats and long jackets.  Don’t even get me started on the boots. 

One con of pirate ships?  Definite hygiene issues all around.  Maybe if I could find a ship where the crew took pride in their appearances and their teeth…and their body odor.   Alas, such are the stuff of dreams.

Of course, there is a third option, I suppose…

Space pirates!

Hmm…this will warrant more thorough research and thought.  For now, I will leave these random thoughts and perhaps dream of Treasure Planet.

Happy Random Thought Day,

Shannon

2 comments:

  1. Firstly: Hurrah for another post, and I vote in favor of the occasional random topic, for I find them entertaining.

    Now: At the risk of sounding horribly, terribly, sickeningly sappy: doesn't it all depend on who your fellow crew members are in either scenario? Because who you're with is far more important than where you are while you're with them.

    And if we want to turn this into some horribly convoluted metaphor for life, we can make it about how 'friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life' (oh gag, the saccharine sentimentality, it burns). And if we want to turn this into some even more horribly convoluted metaphor for writing, we can make this about how your characters matter just as much as (more than?) the world you build for them to play in.

    Having said that: space. Obviously. Because science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love Breann's comment. I can also hear her saying it in my head, which makes it even better.

    Second, spaceship. Without a doubt. Because I do get seasick, among other reasons.

    ReplyDelete